Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tom Corbett's Education and Budget Plan: A Student's Perspective

EDIT: Her name is Kim Ward, Pennsylvania State Senator of the Republican party. I totally forgot her name for some reason as I was typing this.



Before I begin, I'm not one to pay particular attention to politics, government plans/ordeals, or anything of that nature. It's nothing that particularly interests me. I always say, "As long as I'm free do what I want, I don't care."

However, there has been a new budget plan that was introduced a month ago (or so) that affects me, as a college student, and the goals and aspirations I hope to accomplish after I graduate. Governor of PA, Tom Corbett, has proposed a budget cut for many schools in the state. My university in particular is affected by this, from the $160.5 million it gets in state funds to $80.2 million if/when this proposal goes through.

For me, that just means more money, A LOT more money for that matter, out of my pocket for the same education I have been getting for almost two years now. Why, in my current financial struggles as the typical poor college student, should I scrounge up more pennies, take out more loans, and suffer in more debt in the long run for this education?

Last Wednesday, my blogging class and I attended Greensburg's town hall meeting, which was held in my schools chapel. I arrived a little late to it, which is when I'm assuming the lady speaking (who was also a government official who came to talk about this budget ordeal, but I completely forgot her name). Not that her name really matters though, when she barely answered the uproaring questions from the audience. I mean really, she would make a broad statement pertaining to maybe one point of what the person asked, and then just move on to another person and do the same exact thing. In other words, she was a typical government official. (I can't get in trouble for these words... right?)

After the town hall meeting, my classmates and I then went to our classroom, and had our class as scheduled. During the class, we watched a video made from Pitt students with what will happen to them if this budget plan goes through. Things like not able to complete medical school, having to move to a different state, not being able to accomplish lifelong dreams, and having to drop out completely came up on that video from many students. Many terrible things will happen to students if this budget plan gets passed.

In all honesty, there is NOTHING good that can come from this plan. There will be many more people hurt than blessed by this. The poor will keep getting more poor, and the rich will keep getting richer. Like I said before, I don't follow politics or state ordeals or whatever, but, come on, really? You're going to just put more struggles in the in the already-struggling learning college student's back? I know I don't want to pay more for the same education I've been receiving for two years now. What say you, readers? Did I mess anything up in this article that I should immediately get rid of or correct? How do you feel about the whole thing in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment