Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Grammy Awards 2011: Who Won, Who Should Have Won, and More.

This year's Grammy awards was one that struck musician fans and critics alike as one of the most shocking ones in it's 54-year history. Some of the winners were as many people expected; some made the mainstream music population raise an eyebrow and say "who is that?" when some of the winners were announced.  One of these particular winners are Arcade Fire, a Montreal-based indie rock band who won the Album of the Year award for The Suburbs, which was released last August. The 16-track album received positive reviews from many professional sources. The Suburbs won over Eminem's Recovery, Lady Antebellum's Need You Now, Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster, and Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.

Lady Antebellum, however, won awards for Song of the Year and Record of the Year, for the song the same title as the album, "Need You Now". Bruno Mars beat out John Mayer in Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, which I wasn't too happy about. Sure, John Mayer may not exactly be the nicest celebrity in the world, but many people don't know Mayer's real talent because they let his personality mask it. Oh well, their loss.

Anyways, Justin Bieber won nothing, which I suppose makes up for John Mayer not winning that last award. This made me extremely happy, almost as happy as I was when I found out Muse won the Best Rock Album award for their work The Resistance. Muse is an English band that has influenced me for many years. I'm so glad they won a Grammy, even if they won it on their worst album. You probably hear so many times, "that band's old stuff is so much better", and in this case, it's very true. Absolution by them was one of the best albums of the past decade; but because they weren't in the mainstream rock music scene in America, it was not recognized by those who made the nominees. Once again, their loss.

But those are my most interesting winners from this year's Grammy Awards. Who did you want to win? Which winners did you find interesting or shocking? Who didn't win that you wanted to see?

4 comments:

  1. Winners? I think everyone who watched the Grammy Awards and got to see Mumford and Sons followed by the Avett Brothers won.

    I turned them off right after their set ended.(I'm intentionally leaving out the part where the man who was once Bob Dylan sang. )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes very true! Since that was the only performance I watched during the whole thing (since I just happened to be flicking through the channels at the time when it just began), I didn't elaborate on the performances. But yes, that performance was very nice. It was also cool that Bob Dylan was there as well, but having him sing could have been cut out or something. All-in-all, it was a stellar performance by both of those bands, minus Dylan, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Paul McCartney flubbed up Saturday Night Live with his puffy-shirt style. Now Dylan does this. Where are the heroes?

    Don't judge me. I think Bieber should have won something. Billions of pre-pubescent girls (and some of their mothers, not to mention Tina Fey) can't be that wrong. Bieber. Fever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Muse won. I heard "Time Is Running Out" in high school and haven't been the same since.

    Mumford and Sons had the best performance of the night.

    Poor Bob Dylan.

    ReplyDelete