Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kids Icarus EP Review



One day as I was roaming the news stories on Absolutepunk.net, I came across a story that this band, Kids Icarus, a band from the small town of Farmington, Connecticut, has a free EP for download on their Bandcamp website (kidsicarus.bandcamp.com). Of course, I couldn't pass up free music. And in this case. I'm very thankful I didn't.

The cover (which can be seen on the right)  can be a little decieving for listeners. It portrays a calm and peaceful landscape with, what looks like, no civilization around the area whatsoever. Therefore, one would think this EP is a more mellow, acoustic, or even a country-genred work. However, it is not any of those. For those people who like A Day to Remember, add a little more punk to them, and Kids Icarus is what you have from that.

The opening track, "It's On Me", shows many similarities to A Day to Remember. The singer, Brian Bellitto, can be easily compared to ADTR's Jeremy McKinnon; the only difference is that Bellitto doesn't scream in his songs, like McKinnon. Also, the main guitar riff definitely sounds like something you would hear from ADTR's Homesick album: a heavy melody with power chords and double strummed low notes, on top of an ear-thumping drumline (the ear-thumping can be seen towards the middle of the song).

The introduction on the third track, "Monster", shows great work by the drummer during that opening 14 seconds.  His work during this song, and every song for that matter, shows that he is definitely a talented drummer and can go far with his talents. You can also see another huge ADTR comparison in the middle of the song, as the chant "This is where it all goes wrong" is used to raise energy for the listeners and for a live audience, which may in fact be it's primary use.

All-in-all, this EP is very entertaining. I'm excited to see what else they can do, if (and when, hopefully) they get signed, that is. If I have to give this a rating, which I will probably do for my reviews, I'll give this EP a 3 out of 5. Individuality is a must in the music industry these days; though this is very entertaining, there are very many comparisons to ADTR in the EP. Nonetheless, give the EP a listen and see what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I just wondered how broad you plan to spread the range of music that you'll cover on the blog? I like to keep my music library wide and varied. I'll definitely be giving this a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I would just make your links link to the website. Copying and pasting is such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete