Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jonny Craig Taking a Hiatus

After days of searching what to write about on here, I finally realized that the thing I've been searching for is right in front of my eyes, something I've been thinking about every day since it was announced. Why did it take me until now to consider writing about it? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Jonny Craig is a 24 year-old Canadian singer with the voice of a angel (which has been compared to Michael Jackson and Christina Aguilera). He sings for two bands, Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance, and has written one solo album, with another one in the works. On Sunday, Craig announced on his Twitter account that he would be taking a hiatus from his music writing. He originally said that he would be canceling all upcoming tours and albums; that was changed the day after, as he said he would still be touring with Emarosa in February and Dance Gavin Dance in April. On Wednesday, Dance Gavin Dance announced that their next album, with Craig on it, will still be released as planned.

Craig, in white, performing with Emarosa at Warped Tour this past summer, Pittsburgh, PA.

Personally, I, along with other fans and musicians, are very distraught and surprised about this decision. Craig is one of my favorite singers and an idol of mine. I had the opportunity to meet him briefly this summer when I saw him and Emarosa at Warped Tour (hence the picture above that I took).

Anyways The Bassline (I can thank Prof. Jakiela for the idea of using this) of this blog is that Jonny Craig may be taking a shocking break from music, but in no way shape or form should any fans lose hope in him. He's still touring and spreading his beautiful voice around the world (as cliche as that may sound).

If you're not familiar with Jonny Craig, you should check out a few songs of his:
- "I Still Feel Her Pt. III"
- "7 AM, 2 Bottles, and the Wrong Road"
- "The Past Should Stay Dead" (with Emarosa)
- "Heads or Tails? Real or Not" (with Emarosa)
- "And I Told Them I Invented Times New Roman" (with Dance Gavin Dance)

EDIT:
It seems as if Craig is not going on a hiatus after all. He announced on his Twitter last weekend that he will not be quitting or anything of that nature. After 7 years of touring and recording, he's still going to push onward in his music career. And let me be the first to say, "thank God."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! I love the bass line on Johnny Craig and will def. look up his music. But for lazy readers (o.k., like me), can you put a link to a song or two -- or a video even -- right here for the clicking? :)

    ReplyDelete